The athlete PÓL SUNDSKARÐ
Pól is born in 1957 and grown up at Nýggjavegur in Klaksvík, Faroe Islands.
As a youth Pól already showed his skills as a proven sportsman in many different categories.
Pól played football at top level for many years in his local club, KÍ. He also played with the Faroese national football team.
In addition to football Pól has participated amongst the elite players in tabletennis as well as in badminton as a young man.
His interest for extreme sport started relatively late in his life.
His very first step towards a healtier lifestyle was taken in 2004, when Pól discovered that both his lifestyle and bodyweight were developing in a totally wrong direction.
As with so many other people, Pól started to practice Marathon, which he very soon completed.
After a row of Marathons Pól discovered that "only one Marathon" was a too simple challenge, and after that is goals have only been higher and more extreme.
Here is a list over some of his big achivements:
- In 2009 Pól managed to run 100 km in one stretch.
- In 2010 Pól performed 7 Marathons in 6 days.
- In 2011 Pól ran one 186 km stretch in 24 hours.
- In 2012 the Faroese mountains became his big challenge, and that year he went 10 times to all the mountains above 800 metres - a total of 100 trips.
- In 2013 all mountains on the island of Viðoy were reached in one outing, and all the 340 Faroese mountains were explored in a period of 6 months. Spartlathon in Greece failed this year, and instead Pól decided to run the route from Gásadalur to Viðareiði in one run in very bad weather conditions.
- In 2014 he managed to complete Spartlaton in Greece, a stretch. of 246 km.
- In 2015 Pól ran 526 km in 5 days, and in the same year he and his wife, Bjørg, as the first couple in the Faroes Islands reached all 340 Faroese mountain tops.
- In 2016 Pól visited all mountain tops in the island of Vágoy, a total of 41 mountains and a 130 km stretch.
- In 2016 he also choose Suðuroy as a goal, and went to all the mountain tops in on the island in 33 hours - a 123 km long trip.